Janka´s journey

This is Janka´s blog about travelling with Cystic Fibrosis.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Chilli in the eye


Yaaah... as you can tell from being slack on the posting..I'm having the time of my life here, guys!!!I dunno where to start - I'm enjoying the project, loving the kids, having a ball with the locals here and my health is just excellent!

Seriously, I only need one nebuliser in the morning, I get up at 6 am every day, do my nebs and go to Long Beach for a run from 7 to 8, then back to the hostel, shower, breakfast, chill...and then to work at 9.00 - great start, I feel incredible all day! I haven't been that healthy in a long time and I think that's what actually gets me out of bed that early. Plus, even though it 's not that hot anymore, the weather is still great so I watch the sunrise at half 6 (to all the germans: that is not 5.30, it's actually 6.30!!!) while I do my nebs and I'm ready to go to the beach.

I'm absolutely loving the work with the kids at the center and I'm quite surprised about that since I never wanted to work with disabled children. But seriously, they are absolutely great! Check the pics, Sesethu is my absolute favourite!The other volunteers, especially Mark and Cat (we work at the center together) are so cool to be around with! Mark just comes out with some hilarious shit half the time - his dry sense of humor is absolutely my cuppa tea..and Cat is just sweet as she is. Nah, really, we're a cool group and I'm glad Cat stays until the end of april and Mark isn't leaving until mid may.

Which leads me to the next thing: As most of you know, I was originally planning on doing this volunteering for 3 months, until mid april, then go to the UK and start a "real" job....I know, it sound silly so here it is: I've changed plans (you guys should be used to it by now, hehe) and extended my visa until the 3rd of July. So I'll be staying for a lil' while, just sorted a job out at this hostel where I can do shifts running this lodge for accomodation and food which is great cos that's basically my major expenses.Also, I might go on some "business" trips for chill'n'surf, like surf - and adventure trips and then write about it on the web page and sell it to the guests.Sounds great to me. plus, this place isn't too big so running it should be a piece of cake, really. See what 3 years of apprentice ship was for, eh?! hehe.

But enough about the future..what have I been doing?!

Ah..I went to a wedding!!!! Not only was it the FIRST wedding I'd ever been to...it was also a surfer beach wedding...which means basically: very laid back and totally unorganised - great! A friend of Lyndon got married to a girl from Botswana, they met in Mozambique and they're heading off to Zimbabwe (get it..?!) and we just met them at the Ledge (a surf spot near the hostel) so they just invited me along. So after I got a bit stressed about what to wear it turned out to be one of the best days I've had so far in South Africa. Everyone was so welcoming and nice, made me feel like I didn't belong anywhere else but that wedding. Great.

We also had a couple of days off from work so we decided to go on a road trip for a few days but because Mark endet up having a bad tooth ache we endet up staying at the hostel until our last day off. Screw it, we though, and still left for just one day. Was great, though. Ben (another surf traveler from Western Australia), Louise (volunteer), Cat, Mark and I headed up to Stelllenbosch which is a little university town along the wine route. Just cool to see, very European, though. And white. But there was a festival going on so Mark and I had an absolute ball playing the drums with a local guy...until the others were bored and made us go home...!

And then...Mark has discovered his cooking skills - which, I have to admit, are really great and also very convenient for me and Cat - since he cooks for all of us. But along with that comes his interest in trying new things...one of them being spices - or spicey flavours. So the other day he bought this huge bag of chilli peppers and added some of that to our chicken curry. Not only that we were all on fire after that - because I helped him cut the damn chilli and I somehow managed to rub my eye - man....has anyone of you ever had chilli in the eye..?! Dude, that's some serious pain! And it just doesn't stop burning, no matter I washed my eyes out with water! But yeah, it was all loads of fun and everyone else thought it was hilarious so we were the evening entertainment for the evening, trying to enjoy our chicken curry. Of course, we couldn't resist taking pictures of each other, red faces, watering eyes, runny noses...the works!

So yeah, I can't really think of anything else for now...check the pics, I've uploaded more, also some of the township where we're working..I know you guys have been waiting for that..:)

8 Comments:

  • At April 01, 2006, Blogger Jaanie said…

    hey hey!

    im so glad to hear youre having a great time. it sure sounds like it! so much so that it makes me wanna go over and check out some of this stuff. well, as you can prob tell by this, i have internet in the new house, so i'll be able to write more frequently now. and i'll make sure to update my blog tonight alright?

    and a big cheers for your health. really good to hear about that. keep up the good work like i know you will!

    xoxo

     
  • At April 02, 2006, Blogger Janka said…

    @ Robbie - so hows surfers? Have you been to Byron Bay? I really loved that place. Great to hear that oz is doing some good to your lungs...it definitely worked for me!
    Now c'mon, post a few lines on your blog, can't let you get slack already..hehehe

     
  • At April 03, 2006, Blogger Becky said…

    Hey hey hey...now that's the sort of post I like to read! Keep it up! Yeah I suddenly want to go travelling in a sunny chilled out country!!! Can I come stay????

     
  • At April 05, 2006, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hooray for good health while you are there! I'm sure the running and the proximity to the beach is helping with that. My health improved dramatically when I moved to a coastal city.

    Sorry for such a short comment, but it's time for me to crawl into bed. I've got a big day tomorrow at work.

    Blessings to you,
    Lauren

     
  • At April 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Finti,

    Opa und ich versuchen zum zweiten Mal, Dir einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen. Mal sehen ob es klappt:
    Opa und Oma freuen sich immer total über Deine Eintragungen und Photos. Ist schon super, daß Du solche Eindrücke über die halbe Welt verschicken kannst.

     
  • At April 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Janka, So nice to hear that you're doing well and having such a good time! Why start a job in Londen if you can stay there! Good choise! Last weekend we met up with ramona, patrizia, alex and tjitske.. I was really awsome! Everyone was still the same! But we missed you there! Next time and of august in the netherlands, hope you can be there!!! Big kiss and take care, arja

     
  • At April 16, 2006, Blogger Janka said…

    @ arja - what..?! Alex came all the way from sweden???? Man, that's so cool, I wish I could have been there with you guys!! But hey, I might be back on the European continent in July so maybe I can make it to the next catching-up in...Groningen?! definitely wanna see your new place!!!

    Cheers everyone for your lovely comments - enjoyed reading them all, makes my time here even better!!!

     
  • At April 22, 2006, Blogger Jaanie said…

    cmon... we need updates! you're almost getting as bad as me... :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home